Monday, November 10, 2008

Expanding my food horizon everyday

One thing I love about my friend Ben is his honesty. When we talked last week he made the comment: "I cannot believe you said you were liking the food there." "Why?" I asked. He responded with, "Well, you are just such a picky eater!" It isn't a lie. I will admit that I am a picky eater. However, as Japanese culture would have it, it is considered rude to leave food on your plate. Therefore, I am just learning to eat whatever is put in front of me. Often just putting on a face that I do like it, but sometimes not. As a result...I am learning that there are a lot of foods that I actually do like!
I have had more fun in the past months trying new foods...many I like (like Mr. Donuts!) and many I hope to not eat again (such as crab brains!). Here are some of the foods I did try:

The picture above is of deep fried whale meat. It was so tender and delicious!


But if we were going to eat deep fried whale, of course we had to have the raw whale too! Above is raw whale meat. Yes, I know I swore off raw red meat after the horse but I couldn't not try it!


See...I just cannot resist!


We went out for Mexican and decided to try dessert! This is what is, aparently, a Mexican dessert. It is tortillas filled with a little fruit jam, little sugar and lots of cream cheese. Then grilled. Whip cream on the side and you've got a "Mexican Pizza!" It was a little strange but oddly good! However, I don't think I will ever need to eat it again!


Mr. Donuts is a famous donuts place here in Japan. Above is a picture of their most famous donut-pan de choco. It is fluffy and amazing. I will say that it is not as good as a Krispy Kreme but I would be happy to go back!

No comments: