Sunday, August 16, 2009

Drivers License

My International Drivers Permit expires after one year which means it was time to get my Japanese license.

Getting your license here was a HUGE ordeal, well, it is a huge ordeal if you are an American!

Here is the process...

1. Translate the American license into Japanese
2. Go to license center and fill out lots of paper work (no...I have no been pulled over by a cop. No, have not gotten a ticket...and so on...)
3. Take a written test (which was a joke...10 true or false questions)
4. Take the driving test
5. Get license

Now...the process seems simple enough right?

The first 3 steps are pretty simple. The written test was a huge joke. Each question had a picture a horridly worded English question. For example, one question had a picture of two cars in an accident. The written question said something like: "If, therefore, an accident has happened then that it would be a good idea if you left your car scene with no police having arrived." By the way...the answer is false.

The driving test is horrible. My first test was with Frankenstein (really-he does look like Frankenstein!). I felt that I drove wonderfully but my first attempt was a fail. I took two lessons to learn the secrets of the driving test. I learned you should be 50 cm away from the white line on the left side, foot NOT over the brake around a turn, two (forceful, nauseating) pumps on the brake when stopping, hands at 10 and 2...and many other lovely tips. I was ready after my two lessons and practicing on the course.

Attempt number 2 proved to be a success and I got my license! I now have keep a little yellow and green symbol in my front and back windows to indicate that I am a "new driver." I have to keep them in for one year.

Here is my license...

1 comment:

Sean6 said...

Colleen, nice to read your updates. Frankenstein passed me on my first try last year :]. You shouldn't need the new driver magnet unless your Minnesota license was also recently renewed.